Winners of the 2014 Show 'n Tell Contest
We are so excited to announce the winners of this year's Show 'n Tell Contest. With so many wonderful tatted designs, I'm sure it would have been difficult to vote for a favorite. We had a couple thousand votes cast and even at that several categories were closely contested!
The Real World of Shipping
Shipping can sometimes seem like a nightmare!
Recently I needed a critical item from Illinois and paid extra to have it shipped 2 Day Priority. I reside in Indiana; the item was a mere 5-hour drive away.
Imagine my distress when I checked the USPS tracking number a day later only to learn my shipment went to Montana and would not be delivered until 3 or 4 days had elapsed making my deadline completely hopeless!
Playing Hide and Seek
The Tatting Corner's experience has been that it is rare when a package is totally lost. Some seem to disappear only to reappear days, weeks, even months later. In 18 years, I think only 1 or 2 packages have been totally lost and that includes all the international shipping we have done.
I know how my customers feel when their order does not arrive as expected. I ship orders every day. 99% of the time, there are no issues. And when there is an issue, I frequently will bend over backwards to make it right even when the fault is not mine.
Package tracking can be a godsend, not only for customer and businesses, but also for the carrier. Typically you can learn the package's route and last drop off point and locate 'lost' packages quickly. Without tracking, there's no trail to follow. If the package does not arrive, who is responsible? Where did the package go? Should a business reship the order simply on the word of the customer? What would you do?
Shipping Do's and Don'ts
My recent bad experience with the Illinois shipment made me reflect on shipping and prompted me to share some thoughts with you having experienced both sides of the equation.
- Insist on shipping methods that include package tracking. Looking up a package's location and estimated date of delivery is very easy so you know where your order is and when it is expected to be delivered.
- Did you know USPS Priority packages are flown on commercial flights when the distance to the destination justifies it? If a flight is delayed by weather or if the flight is too full or too heavy to include a USPS shipment, the shipment can be delayed.
- When you place an order, be certain your address is absolutely correct. What you enter is what shows up on the mailing label. Most package labeling is done in an automated manner. We had an incident where a package was returned to us several times because the customer never gave us the correct address.
- If you are in a hurry to receive your order, drop us a few lines in the comment section. We definitely read the comments and we'll do our best to accommodate your wishes. Be sure to select RUSH at checkout if it absolutely, positively has to get there right away.
- Lastly, consider insurance. If you are ordering anything where you can't afford to lose your money, it may be worth $3.50 for shipping insurance. You should also consider requesting signature confirmation (US shipments only) if package theft is a worry where you live.
I hope my experiences will help you the next time you place an order whether it is with us or any other business!